Pages

Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Table of Contents

Today I made my draft Table of Contents. It is still a work in progress, as I still have not gotten one of the pictures that I need, but it is 90% finished already. I will add the last photo later today and it will e completed. Let's take a look: 
The eye is of course drawn to the central graphic. The simplistic design really highlights the partisan undertones of the magazine. The (D), representing the Democrats, is pointing upwards toward the future. Meanwhile the (R), representing the Republicans, is pointing down towards the past. The basic format of the page splits it into fourths. On the upper right and lower left quadrants are the names of the stories in bold, shadowed font. I decided to have the page numbers be in roman numerals both to increase the boldness of the design and to make it more regal. The storylines are intentionally ambiguous and or charged because this is a standard convention for a partisan magazine. The audience expects a fair amount of bias in the articles, because they know that it is bias that they share. Additionally, one can observe that the page number on the bottom also is a roman numeral. This column in the bottom margin also contains the magazine title, a helping of zeros and ones, and the issue theme title. This is a common convention to all magazines, and it will appear in my two-page spread as well. Finally, the photo that can be seen in the bottom right is supposed to represent the technology of the past. This is why it is placed next to the downward arrow. I took this picture at my Dad's workbench. He makes vintage guitar amplifiers, so there was a healthy amount of archaic circuitry just clumped around in there. I thought this was a perfect contrast to the image that I plan to place in the top left, which is a picture of an IT data room. (I have not taken this yet).

One last note, it ha come to my attention that "Stupider" is not a word. However, it appears that I have used it on one of my cover lines. I have changed this in my table of contents and it will be corrected on the cover in my final product as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment